I’ve always wanted to own a book that looks like a tome, which can double up as a storage kit for my Dungeons & Dragons dices and components… so I decided to make one! Here’s a guide on how you can make one for yourself. Don’t feel intimidated by how complex the books look, they’re actually very easy to make!
Things you’ll need:
I bought all my materials from Spotlight. Here’s the list of what you need:
- Mod Podge
- Sponge brush
- Paper towel
- Scrapbook wooden frames
- Scrapbook wooden ornaments
- Scrapbook alphabet stickers
- Hot glue gun
- Artificial pearl stickers
- Paper mache books
- Black acrylic paint
- Metallic gold acrylic paint
Simple steps on how to make:
- First, assemble the scrapbook wooden frame, ornaments, pearl stickers and alphabets on the cover of the paper mache book, then glue them on with the hot glue gun.
- Dampen the paper towel then drape it over the book. Glue the paper towel on to the front cover, spine and back cover of the book by applying Mod Podge with the sponge brush. Don’t worry if the paper becomes crinkly and messy, this is the desired texture for the Spell Book!
- Apply black acrylic paint all over the front cover, spine and back cover of the book. It’ll look like a beautiful mess!
- Finally, use a dry brush to gently brush over the protruding areas with metallic acrylic paint. It’ll bring out the details and give the book an antique look!
And there you have it, a tome that doubles up as storage! Now my Dungeons & Dragons dices have a new home. What I like most about making these tomes is that they don’t need to look perfect to look good. Any minor flaws or imperfections made during the process adds character to the book, making it uniquely yours!